Well, it has been more than a year or so, I have been managing & leading my team remotely. Below is a summary of my experience, the challenges I faced & How I overcame them.
Challenges while working remotely:
- The first & most obvious challenge you face while working remotely is that your team is not physically with you under one umbrella which sometimes creates a communication gap among your peers.
- Internet connectivity issues is also one of the hurdles we face while working remotely.
Best Practices while working remotely OR leading Virtual Teams
- Create a dedicated workspace
- Define Work / Home boundaries
- Choose a Workspace having all the mandatory facilities
- Set your working hours
- Set well defined agenda for meeting
- Meeting Objective should be clear
- Take Good meeting notes
- Choose right tool for a meeting
- Always join meeting 5-7 mins before actual time
- There should be well defined TO DO list of daily tasks
- Be visible at work
- There should be define check – in & check -out times
- Communicate effectively, effective communication plays a very vital role during remote work
- The more you communicate with your team members the more things get streamlined
- Take regular follow ups from team members
- Do not do Micro – Management
- Enhance your skills by learning some new skills